Sunday, May 12, 2013

Intestate Succession

Picture used for her passport and obituaury

Will.
A declaration of a person's wishes regarding the disposal of his or her property after death.

Mom passed on without a will, so the law states that intestate succession will precede over the disposal of assets.

Passing on doesn't end there. There are a number of administratove work to be done.

Need to get a lawyer to do a probate to appoint an Administrator to distribute the property.
Rightfully, if mom doesn't have the private property in her name, then there may not be necessary to have this probate done.
Lawyer fees are not cheap ok! :P

To get the probate done, they need original death certificate. Even my dead siblings' death certificates are also required. That was tough as I do not know where they are kept. All copies of beneficiaries idenfication card and birth cerificates. Marriage certificate of my parents.
Even to do an extract with ICA, they needed information which I do not have, and none of us in the family can provide that.
Anyway, gave the lawyer as much information as I can, let them do the work.

Mom had only one bank account in her own name. Checked with the bank, and they needed my birth certificate and my mom's death certificate.
Then went down to try to close her account, they told me they needed dad to be the applicant to close the account.
@!#@%%$&%^#$%$&^%^&$#%#&*&^(*^$#$^&^(*
Can't they state the requirement correctly?
In the end, I got the bank staff to go with me to get my dad's signature who was at hospital at that point of time. From Toa Payoh to TTSH not too far.
I just wanted to close this part asap. It was they fault in the first place anyway.

For HDB, was advised to do the Notice of Death with them. Checked with them, and it appears that dad must be present to do the stuff, and has to be done at the branch office.
Another challenege which I have to arrange later, as dad is not very convenient to move around in wheelchair.
Not sure if that place is wheelchair-friendly yet. Need to do some recce first.

CPF is something which lawyer cannot do anything about.
Have yet to check with them how to clear off the CPF stuff.
If no nomination made, they will assign someone to do the stuff. Got to call them soon.

She had no insurance, no shares and whatsoever, so I think the above should be all that needs to get done.

After all these are more or less settled, will have to get dad to do up his Will, as well as my own.

Hmmm. Death can be quite a hassle. :P

No comments: