Friday, March 27, 2009

Meet The Parents

Call me Dad!

I was asked to attend a "Meet-the-Parents" session by my niece. Kinda weird right? No kid yet attend the "Meet-the-Parents"? Uncle is also not considered parents in real sense mah.

Althought I did have a part in bringing her up, that is, giving her some canes, and more canes, and more canes. :D
Ahhh. I not so evil. *wink*

Being the punctual person, of course I am not late.

From the gate entrance to the assembly hall, there were prefects stationed along the way to be the guides to the gathering location.

Wow. They are all so courteous. You walked past every single one of them, they will bow their head slightly downwards, and greet you "Good Evening Sir!".
There's one particular one even called me "Hamsom".
Aiyah! Forgot to ask her name! She needs to be complimented! :D

I think she must be the best prefect in the school.
I like. *giggle*

Anyway, the principal started the session, and went on and on about their school results, comparing results according to subjects blahblahblah.
Wow. School life has become quite stressful huh.

It's ok. I understand. She has her own KPI to attend to.

Apparently, English Language and Social Studies / Humanities seem to be the toughest subjects for most of the students. What's worse, these 2 are quite critical in terms of gaining access into Junior College too.
Well, English has all along being the utmost important subject that will be accounted for in all kinds of entries into all higher tertiary educations.

Let's not neglect Mother Tongue too ok?!?!

The principal even called upon ex-students to come back to make a short speech, to inspire the current cohort to put more effort in their studies, in order to make better grades, and able to let them go into the targetted next level of higher education.
That's pretty interesting.

Just wondering, how many will be exactly motivated? :P

So I asked my niece, how motivated she is, to get more A1s. She said she is very motivated.
Hmmm. We'll see how her results fare in January next year, then we will know if she is indeed motivated.

Again, her current result (Common Test I) is not really that bad, not that it is fantastic though.
Singapore style: Can do lah.
But seriously, I think she can do better. Need to get the lazy genes out of the way, perhaps that will help. hehehehe

Comparing to 20-odd years ago, her results were only slightly (and more slightly, and slightly more slightly) worse than my results then.
But 今昔非彼昔. Cannot compare apple to apple.

It's ridiculously for me to hear that in order to go into TOP JC, you need L1R5 results that is lower than 6!
L1R5 means Language 1 (which is English) plus 5 Related subjects, which has criteria related to Maths/Science/Humanities etc.
You need to compute with 6 subjects, and your result has to be lower than 6 to enter top notch JC!

KA NA SAI!

Time has really changed.

To me, as long as good effort has been put in, and that each and every time you have made improvement, that would be already a good form of learning by itself.

All Ze Best-est-est-est!
Students of the world ...

No comments: