Monday, March 2, 2009

Norman & HTC

Heh heh. Norman is not my friend.
Norman refers to Norman Security Suite, a relatively new anti-virus software company. At least new to me, I only know about this anti-virus software early last year when I bought my laptop that comes with a 1-year free subscription.

I just switched my mobile to HTC Touch Dual, since my Sony Ericsson K618i likes to shutdown on me occasionally without me knowing. This HTC phone is a pass-me-down from my lovely wife Karinna. :P She will always get the better phone.

So yesterday, I was trying to synchonise my contact list and calendar from my Microsoft Outlook into the HTC phone.

Tough luck. All installations looked perfectly fine, just cannot synchronise. The best part is, it tells me that synchronisation is completed. However, none of the data appear in the phone.
Not even when I disabled the Firewall feature in Norman!
!@#$#^&%^&(*^&(*$@#$#&^^*())(^%$#^%$%*(&)(*_)^%

So being an IT professional, I have to keep thinking what could be wrong.

In the end, I decided that it is my anti-virus software that is preventing the synchronisation.

So I uninstalled my Norman Security Suite earlier, and then do the synchronisation.
Voila!
True enough, the data synchronisation works like a charm. I am like a charm too.

But I cannot live without anti-virus, so I have to re-install back the Norman shit again. At least temporary till I can find some solution to make them both work together. Obviously Windows Mobile and Norman hated each other.

Anyway, I feel that the problem is more on Norman software side. I had previously used another software, which cannot work with Norman anti-virus installed too.
I tested that software when I removed Norman earlier, and it works like me (a charm) again!

Why do people make software that complicates life?
Oooooops! I doing SAP Application Consultation ... ...
Such complications!

No comments: