Sunday, March 9, 2008

Migration

I changed my company's hosting provider to a new one.

Although not difficult, but very leh cheh.
Had to, of course, inform the current provider of termination, get the new provider to prepare for it, and then also need to tell the domain registrar of the change.
So need to co-ordinate all these 3 parties to get the new site to work correctly.

So the target to switch the domain registrar information was last Friday at 1730hrs.
So that was changed. It can take up to 72 hours for the thing to take effect fully.
DNS server typically will need time to propagate the information through the internet. Once everything is propagated, things will then go back to 'normal'.

So I was monitoring all along. Only yesterday morning, then our website at the new provider can be effected. Sometimes still go to the old provider, but with 'refresh', the link will go to the new provider's site.
Website is not so important to us.

The more important will be the mails.

I kept trying to send email to myself to see if I can receive it at the new provider end. Didn't work until this morning.
At least for me. Can't test for others.
Created a testuser, and send email to testuser. Worked.
I can only presumed it worked then.

Anyway, if they have problem, I am sure I will be asked to help.

At least, the migration looks ok right now for me ... :)

No comments: