Saturday, May 16, 2009

JDBC-SQL

Sigh.

Ever since SAP goes into Java-based, I sometimes feel very vexed with the things to be done on the technical level.

With my SAP-Basis background, I also find it difficult at times to understand Java-based system. In fact, I reckon that probably about 80% of Basis consultants cannot really deal well with SAP Java-based systems.
Maybe I am prejudiced. :D

Anyway, my colleague has a problem at a customer site, where they wanted to link the BW system to an external Microsoft SQL Server in order to extract the data from SQL into BW.

The way to do so is to create it as a UD Connector source system in BW. And in order to do that, need to make use of JDBC Driver for the SQL system, and basically need to configure the java system here and there to make it able to connect to the SQL Server.
Too chim? It's ok. It's jargon to me too. hahaha

So yesterday was installing a SQL Server in one of my systems. That's the easy part.
Loaded a sample database into the SQL. Easy part too.
Gotten the various JDBC driver, and put into my Java-based system. Fairly ok.
Then started fidgeting with the configuration to make use of the jdbc driver to talk to the SQL Server.
In the end, keep getting headaches with my tests, and more tests, and even more tests.

It got even to a point where my Java-instance cannot run! And took me a while to digest and revive the Java-instance back.
@#$@#^&%^*#%#$^&^*(*&^$

Fret not, the small brain of mine, anyhow click here and there, and now the java instance is able to connect to my SQL server with the JDBC driver!

In my BW system, it is also possible to see the tables and information from the SQL Server now, so it's a happy ending.

Good for me!
In the process, my experience in this area has increased yet again by a notch!
Ahhhhh!!!!
Provided I know what I have done that makes it work ...

What is it? :P

No comments: